Welcome to the wilderness. Hunting is a great chance to enjoy nature in a unique way. But you don’t need to be totally disconnected from modern civilization. As a matter of fact, you need to be properly equipped before embarking on your next hunting quest. This is why you need to pack the best hunting GPS.
This convenient device is your safety net. You will know exactly which spot to head to and the nature of the surrounding terrain. It is a must-have tool if you don’t want to get lost.
What is a hunting GPS?
Whether you are a newbie or an expert, a handheld GPS is an absolute necessity. It will help you navigate through wild terrains. Deer and elk are not actually going to wander around. You will have to go through some rough spots where the best hunting GPS will be only your friend.
Depending on your cell phone might not be the best option even your GPS is on. GPS devices are more sensitive and will keep your back covered. You won’t have to light up your flashlight to safely navigate. More discretion is definitely something you need while hunting.
How to choose the best hunting GPS?
There are a lot of options available to choose from. Paying attention to the features and details will help you pick up the best GPS for hunting. With a lot of products to choose from, you might get confused as a buyer. But don’t worry we’ve got your back. In this section, we highlight the main features that you should consider before deciding on the most appropriate product.
- Satellite reception: The main purpose of the GPS is to help you determine locations accurately. The GPS is connected to the satellites in the area to help you navigate through a certain terrain. Pick a model that has a powerful antenna because it will have better reception even under thick trees.
- How easy it is used: A complicated gadget is not what you need in the wilderness. You need to make sure that your handheld GPS is easy to handle when you are busy with other stuff. Pick a model that has great button configuration and a widescreen.
Some models come with a touchscreen which can be a big plus since it is easier to navigate. These might be faster to use and come with even more features.
- Reliability: The best GPS for hunters should be fast. You don’t really need a device that will take forever to start. A reliable product will search for the location fast which is exactly what you need on a hunting trip.
- The quality of the display screen: The size of the screen is an important issue. A big wide screen can come in handy to help you see every detail. But if you are worried about the size of the GPS, then you should pick a smaller screen.
A backlit screen will improve your experience. The best hunting handheld GPS will be easy to use in bright sunlight and in the shade.
It is also very important to understand that even the best handheld GPS for hunting will still provide an image quality that is no way near a smartphone. Nevertheless, you should pick a decent resolution to be able to use your GPS successfully.
- Some GPS devices feature a slot for a microSD card. This will enable you to add more data. But if you are on a tight budget, you can get away with a basic model. This would still have memory to store enough waypoints to keep you on the track.
- Some of the best GPS gadgets are water and shockproof. These are very durable and will not malfunction even if it starts to rain.
- Some GPS devices feature an altimeter. This could come in handy if you tend to do a lot of climbing, too.
The best hunting GPS devices on the market:
We decided to test and review some of the best products on the market. Now you can easily go through the product features to pick the one that matches your requirements.
This is one of the most popular products on the market. If you are looking for the best Garmin handheld GPS, then you’ve come to the right place.
Click for review
- This GPS features high sensitivity and comes with a high-quality antenna. It is one of the most accurate devices especially when you are on the move.
- Don’t worry about trekking through thick tree covers. It will still work perfectly. This is the best hunting GPS because it comes with more than 250,000 geocaches. It features a high-quality screen that is perfectly readable even in direct sunlight.
- With this GPS you will receive smart notifications about your heartbeat and speed. It can operate on 2 AA batteries or one rechargeable battery pack that you can easily
- recharge while still in the device.
Click for Price
- The convenient screen that works perfectly in bright and low light conditions.
- Convenient buttons that are perfect to use even in cold weather.
- 8 GB of internal memory to install maps and updates. You can add extra storage.
- Can be paired with your mobile phone.
- Wireless connectivity with Bluetooth or ANT+
- Some users felt that the battery life is not long enough.
You don’t need to break the bank to buy the best hunting GPS. This is an affordable product with basic features that won’t disappoint you.
- This is a basic GPS that will help you pinpoint the location using longitude and latitude. The digital compass is actually pretty accurate and reliable. It will also help you determine speed, trip length, and temperature.
- In less than 2 minutes you will be able to lock onto a satellite and then view your data on Google maps. The desktop app is very reliable and convenient to use since the device comes with a USB cable.
- You can save up to 5 waypoints and get back where you started. This is a hassle-free accurate GPS gadget. The grayscale LCD is very easy to read at night.
- This GPS is weather resistant and will work perfectly in all conditions.
Click for Price
- A simple hassle free GPS to help you pinpoint your location.
- A budget-friendly option.
- Helps you save your trip details.
- Saves up to 5 locations.
- Compatible with different operating systems. You can easily share your data via emails and social media.
- Water resistant construction.
- Runs for 16 to 20 hours on 3 batteries.
- This device has no built-in memory and doesn’t accept data cards. This means that you can’t load maps. It is a simple GPS if you are on a tight budget.
- If you are looking for a durable product then this is the one you should pick. This device features high impact and water resistance. It is what you need if you want to get away with being extra careless. It is not a fancy device with a touchscreen and room for extra data. This is the best hunting GPS for newbies and hunters who are on a tight budget.
- You don’t have to worry about connecting it to your computer thanks to its direct PC interface. It comes with reliable buttons for easy navigation and regularly updated maps for reliability.
- The screen is readable in bright sunlight and is also water resistant for the best performance. It features easy yet comprehensive menus that are guaranteed to keep your back covered.
Click for Price
- A durable device that won’t cost a fortune.
- Impact and water resistant.
- High sensitivity menu that is perfectly readable in different light conditions.
- Easy to navigate and connect to the PC.
- A detailed road network that features every detail.
- Convenient size.
- Power saving features.
- Paperless geocaching to download and view more than 20 characteristics.
- Some users prefer a higher display quality.
The best hunting GPS is the one that would perform exceptionally without costing much.
- This GPS is what you need for fast positioning as it can lock up to 18 satellites with no issues. It is pretty accurate to use even if you are indoors or under thick trees. This is a fast gadget that you can depend on. It will take 30 seconds or less for the acquisition of satellites. Its performance will not be affected by clouds or any other obstacle.
- This device features an excellent screen with easy navigation. You can pick the map, satellite or the boot up screen by a simple press of a button. The bright display is convenient to use in various light conditions.
- This is a waterproof GPS. It is built to withstand the elements. It features paperless geocaching. This means that you can now easily download geocaches with no hassle.
Click for Price
- A convenient budget friendly device that is far away from basic.
- Fast satellite acquisition.
- Excellent performance even in the presence of obstacles.
- Easy navigation.
- Reliable display that works perfectly in the shade or in direct sunlight. Different display day and night settings to choose from.
- Features worldwide base map.
- Water resistant construction.
- It can last up to 25 hours as it features power saving options.
- There is no room for a memory card.
This is another great product by Garmin that you can definitely depend on.
- Don’t underestimate this small device, As a hunter you don’t need extra heavy gear. A lot of hunters consider this to be the best hunting GPS because you can wear it as a watch. You can check it in a glance while still carrying your gun and everything you need on your trip.
- This is a simple GPS with a black and white easy to read display. It works perfectly even with the presence of heavy tree cover and deep canyons thanks to the HotFix. It will last for 17 continuous hours.
- This GPS will help you keep track of everything including direction, tracks, waypoints and routes. The trip computer provides detailed data about sunrise and sunset times. This tool even comes with a dependable calendar that will give you valuable insights to on and off hunting and fishing seasons.
Click for Price
- A compact device that can be worn as a watch.
- Computer compatible.
- High sensitivity GPS with great accuracy.
- Works well even with obstacles.
- A simple display with all the needed data.
- Enables you to retrace your track back to where you started.
- Some users were not very happy about the battery life.
If you are looking for a reliable GPS with a fancy touch screen then this is the best hunting GPS to buy.
- This wonderful device features a 3 inches screen that is readable in different light conditions. It features multi-touch screen capabilities that are far more than what other GPS devices offer. The best thing about this hunting GPS is that you can easily control the touch screen with your gloves on. It is the best gadget to use in extreme weather conditions.
- This great GPS displays topographic maps that are very detailed. It also features a 3-axis compass, an accelerometer and an altimeter. The ANT and Bluetooth allow you to share routes, geocaches, maps and photos.
- You don’t have to pack a separate camera. This wonderful device comes with an 8 megapixel digital camera that takes high quality photos. With 4 GB of storage you will be able to save your photos to share them later. You can also insert a microSD card to increase the storage.
Click for Price
- High sensitivity GPS with fast fixes even in the most challenging environments.
- Multi-touch screen that you can zoom in, pan out and rotate even while wearing your gloves.
- Adaptive touch screen brightness.
- 8 Megapixel autofocus camera.
- Accurate topographic maps.
- Extra 3-axis compass, accelerometer and an altimeter.
- You can add a microSD card for extra data storage.
- Some people thought that this GPS device is not very easy to understand. You definitely need to read the manual carefully before you are able to fully utilize it.
You might think that you can do well with the navigation feature on your smart phone. This is the best hunting GPS that will enlighten you about the importance of having a dependable navigation device.
- This GPS device is not just for hunting. You can bring it along while hiking or even fishing. This great hunting GPS comes with a high resolution 4 inches touch screen that is perfectly readable in bright sunlight and in the shade. The GPS in a durable rugged case that is dust, dirt, humidity and water resistant.
- The best features 3 axis compass and a barometric altimeter. It comes with preloaded maps that feature a lot of trails and tracks. You will have all the details you need to stay ready in a wild terrain. You can either choose to display the maps in 2D or 3D on your computer screen.
- The Hotfix satellite feature eases satellite acquisition for maximum accuracy even under a thick cover of trees. This GPS gadget is very easy to manage as it enables you to record every detail of your route.
- As a bonus, it features an autofocus 8 Megapixel camera that automatically geotags photos. Your touch screen is very easy to use and navigate with 10,000 points and 200 saved tracks. This will give you more time to focus on hunting.
Click for Price
- A versatile GPS that will prove worthy whether you are hunting or hiking.
- Big screen with high resolution. The high-quality touch screen is readable in bright daylight and in the shade.
- Easily locates your position and accurately maintains it.
- Comes with preloaded topographic maps and more than 10,000 saved points and 200 tracks.
- A sturdy case that will withstand dirt, dust, humidity and water.
- An 8 megapixel camera.
- This product is rather expensive. But for the features included, it is worth the money.
To find the best hunting GPS you will have to weigh your needs against the available options. Whether you want a fancy GPS that comes with everything you desire or a rather basic one, you will definitely find the perfect match. You will have a good chance to find what you need by going through these hunting GPS reviews. Now all you need is to pick a suitable model and you will be good to go. If you need another gear like huning boots visit for best boost. Happy Hunting!